Temporary (Until December initially)
Full Time - 8.00am – 4.00pm Monday – Thursday 8.00am – 3.30pm Friday
Salary – DOE
Our client is looking for a Cemetery Operative to help out on a temporary basis.
• General maintenance to include picking up litter, emptying of bins, grass cutting, hedge trimming, removal of weeds, clearing leaves and blossom throughout Torfaen Cemeteries.
• Enhanced maintenance in the winter months to make the cemeteries safe for visitors including gritting, dealing with fallen branches and reporting debris needing removing.
• Maintenance of shrub beds and cutting back overgrowth to benches, paths and other thoroughfares throughout Torfaen Cemeteries
• Cleansing and securing of on-site buildings including yards, toilets and chapel
• To open and shut the buildings at the Cemetery.
• Manual sweeping where necessary.
• To prepare for and carry out full coffin, cremated remains and baby/child burials throughout the cemeteries in Torfaen including using plans to locate graves and assisting with coffin bearing if required.
• To carry out exhumations of cremated remains when needed.
• To complete vehicle check sheets.
• To carry out service user requests via work sheets that are issued via the office or Cemetery Sexton.
• To correctly place markers in the Meadow burial area to allow for future locating.
• To provide on site assistance to cemetery visitors.
• To enforce the council Grave Personalisation policy.
• To carry out memorial checks.
• Work in a safe manner, with safe working practices ensuring that all protective clothing is worn as necessary or directed
• To enter a grave below ground level to carry out works which may involve coming in to contact with leaked substances including embalming fluid and bodily fluids.
• Understand the needs and requirements of all stakeholders and provide customer focused approach to the delivery of all services.
• Undertake appropriate training and assessments including COTS.
• Horticultural operations including planting, soiling and seeding/turfing of graves, landscaped areas, biodiversity zones throughout Torfaen cemeteries.
• Use and maintenance of powered hand tools and light plant, for example strimmers, blowers, hedgecutters and pedestrian mowers.
• The Operation and general maintenance of ride on mowers having undertaken the necessary LANTRA training.
• Operation and general maintenance of plant machinery including 2 JCBs, dumper and work-max
• Removal of graffiti ensuring that COSHH assessments and control measures are available when using hazardous chemicals on graffiti and other similar work.
• Ensure that all health and safety risks are controlled during the removal of dead animals and other hazardous waste.
• Ensure that traffic management is organised for funerals.
• To assist streetscene or other departments if needed.
• Undertake any other duty which may reasonably be requested by the relevant Chief Officer