Critical Facilities Engineer
4 shifts on, 4 shifts off working pattern
£30,000 per annum, DOE
Our client are market leaders in powering, cooling, protecting, and connecting the technology of the world’s well-known hyperscalers, cloud providers and large enterprises. Developing and operating across six markets in America and Europe, our client has evolved data centre design in innovative ways to deliver dramatic gains in reliability, efficiency and sustainability in flexible environments that can scale as quickly as the market demands.
They are now looking for a Critical Facilities Engineer who knows what best-in-class service looks like and can make that a reality. This role is an important member of their Site Operations team where they manage some of the most efficient and cost-effective data centre facilities in the industry.
The successful candidate for this role will work with a team of other electrical and mechanical-focused engineers performing maintenance and repair for the data centre infrastructure. Our client takes their customer requirements for uptime seriously and keeps their facilities maintained to a very high standard to insure uninterrupted service for their customers.
If you enjoy working on critical data centre systems (UPSs, PDUs, Diesel Generators, ATS equipment and Building Controls), as well as industrial electrical equipment and systems that include power distribution components/wiring, electronic components and lighting systems; if you know the importance of getting it right the first time and not disrupting mission critical data centres; if you enjoy delighting customers with superior service and you have the desire and ability to do so, then please read on!
Essential Job Functions:
• Work under limited supervision, both independently and within a team environment
• Manage multiple one-time and/or ongoing projects
• Respond to safety and emergency situations and maintain a safe and secure work environment
• Use discretion and judgment in organizing workflow and adapting as priorities are modified due to a changing environment
• Frequent contact with employees at all levels of the organization; frequent external contact with vendors
• Assist Data Centre Technicians (DCT) Team by providing 24/7 monitoring of the Data Centre infrastructure and by actioning any Remote and Intelligence Hands requests, in a timely and efficient manner
• Undertake daily facility and plantroom checks, ensuring the company not only meets SLAs (Service Level Agreements) but exceeds them
• Ensuring all electrical equipment and infrastructure are maintained to Standards and Health and Safety requirements, in line with Annual Maintenance Planner
• Undertaking electrical installation works to IEE 18th Edition (BS7671) Regulations to affect company and customer objectives
• Installation of racks and accessories to customer Data Halls, in line with DCT and Site Operations team direction
• Liaise with maintenance sub-contractors to ensure maintenance to the Company’s Fire and M&E infrastructure and equipment are undertaken in line with Annual Maintenance Planner and Health and Safety guidelines
• Ensure maintenance and service repairs are completed by vendors on critical Data Centre systems (UPS, PDU, Diesel Generators, ATS equipment and Building Controls, CRAC, ETC)
• Review reliability reports to ensure availability and capacity targets are achieved and maintained with 100% uptime
• Coordinate, and oversee all maintenance vendors to ensure personnel safety, protect the facility’s critical equipment, and maintain power to the critical load
• Adhere to, and ensure vendors follow, the Company’s MOPs (Method of Procedure), SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) and EOPs (Emergency Operating Procedures) to ensure all maintenance activities are performed in accordance with them
• Experience with the maintenance and repair of industrial electrical and mechanical systems in mission-critical facilities to include: emergency generators (Generators, Fuel Delivery systems and Parallel Switchgear), electrical distribution (MV/LV switchgear and associated controls), critical and essential PDUs, UPS, switchgear, HVAC, air handling units, computer grade cooling systems and building monitoring/control systems
• Demonstrate knowledge in operating, maintaining, repairing, inspecting and testing critical electrical distribution systems, HVAC systems and building management/automation equipment
• Ability to read commercial building blueprints and understand electrical single lines and schematics
• Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures related to mechanical & electrical systems needed to run data centres
• Technical writing skills and experience, as well as creating, coordinating, updating and/or modifying MOPs/SOPs/EOP’s for critical facilities equipment, to include supporting new systems and researching technical requirements
• Electrically qualified to City & Guilds Level 3 or equivalent
• May be required to complete formal training in an area of specialty, such as UPS maintenance
• Candidates must possess reliable transportation for reporting to work for shifts or emergencies
• Travel is expected to be less than 5%, occasionally for training purposes
• Potential employees must complete a background check successfully