Housing and Assets Manager
£26.80 per hour
To manage the strategic direction and the day to day operation of Housing, Property and Energy Services in accordance with approved policy and performance criteria and be lead advisor on strategic housing, strategic property and sustainability and energy issues.
To contribute to the Management Team on strategic and corporate matters.
Deputise for the Head of Regeneration Investment and Housing as required.
To contribute to corporate and cross departmental and/or multi agency working as required.
Key Results Areas
1. To manage the strategic direction of the housing service in the city and the primary importance of the strategic housing role in connecting all housing activities to wider corporate, regional and national policy objectives.
2. To oversee and deliver improvements to housing need and housing conditions across the public and private sectors and provide coherent strategies for addressing these issues, in partnership with other Council service areas, the voluntary sector and advice agencies in Newport through a multi-disciplinary partnership approach.
3. Monitoring and evaluating the success of the housing and strategic property strategies and revising them where necessary to influence the local development and other corporate plans.
4. To ensure that strategic direction and policy delivery take account of those with special needs
5. To encourage collaborative and cross boundary working and to strengthen existing strategic links with neighbouring authorities.
6. To coordinate the strategic management of all aspects of the Council’s property portfolio, providing strategic advice and professional support to the Council and staff.
7. To be responsible for overall monitoring of the Property Services joint venture agreement to ensure the anticipated financial savings, improved service and quality standard are achieved.
8. To ensure compliance with the joint venture contract and to resolve any dispute resolution between Council clients service areas and the joint venture contractor.
9. To manage the property portfolio across RIH and support the move to and delivery of services from co-located hub model.
10. To manage the Council's sustainability and energy strategies and projects ensuring relevant infrastructure models, partnerhsips and governance structures are in place.
11. To manage the development of an Energy Distribution Company for Newport to provide alternative energy solutions to the local community.
12. To develop partnerships across the region as part of the Council's sustainability and energy strategies and projects.
13. To manage partnership funding for sustainability and energy projects including Central and European grants.
14. To have overall responsibility for advising the Welsh Assembly Government and the WLGA on Homelessness and other Housing Needs issues and to contribute to local and national policy formulation through the collation of WHO12 returns.
15. To develop and improve performance management information across the post’s areas of responsibility.
16. To have overall responsibility for the capital and revenue budgets for the Services within the post’s area of responsibility.
17. To co-ordinate all external grant applications and ensure these are aligned with achieving the strategic aims of the Authority and taken through appropriate decision making processes.
18. To ensure the effective management of the Services and ensuring staff across the section are managed in accordance with Council Policies and Procedures and trained in professional, personal and health and safety terms.
19. To prepare the annual Service Plan, prepare reports on Performance Indicators and other appropriate reports and attend Cabinet Member and Overview and Scrutiny meetings as appropriate.
20. To undertake any other duties and responsibilities that may be required by the Line Manager commensurate with the grading of the post.
21. To contribute to and adhere to the Council’s Financial Regulations, Contract Standing Orders, Polices and Procedures, in particular. Health and Safety, Confidentiality, Equal Opportunities, Data Protection and Customer Care.
Qualifications and Experience
Hold a relevant professional qualification
i.e CIH Diploma in Housing or postgraduate certificate in housing/Member of RICS