Senior Policy Advisor (Welsh Speaker)
£36,929 Mon – Fri 36 hours p/w
Our client is looking for an energetic, proactive and skilled policy professional to help them develop their policy agenda and contribute their expertise and insight to debates about the future of elections in Wales.
You will be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, on your own initiative, as well as part of a collaborative and dynamic team. You will have excellent knowledge of policy-making and legislative processes in Wales the ability to use evidence and problem-solving skills to develop creative policy approaches; and excellent interpersonal skills that enable you to build strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. You will be a confident and persuasive communicator with the skills to deliver impactful analysis aimed at both members of the public and policy-makers
Duties & Responsibilities
· Lead, manage and support the delivery of agreed Wales-specific policy projects and work streams within the Commission’s programme management structure.
· Attend meetings with Welsh Government officials to discuss policy matters and provide input and advice from a policy perspective.
· Prepare responses to the Welsh Government policy proposals, draft legislation and other external consultations which relate to electoral activity liaising with operational colleagues in the Commission as required.
· Attend relevant working groups and project boards to represent the Commission; provide briefing for senior staff in respect of such meetings
· Prepare responses to Senedd questions and MS’ correspondence within set timescales
· Be able to effectively communicate the policy position in Wales to the wider Legislation Team.
· Proactively work with the Public Affairs Team to develop and implement advocacy plans in support of Commission policy objectives
· Work with colleagues in the Research team to ensure Commission research projects reflect Welsh needs.
· Substantial experience of leading policy development and proven experience of influencing decision makers, ideally in a diverse and fast-moving policy environment
· Detailed knowledge and relevant experience of working with Welsh Government policy and legislative processes
· Experience of problem solving with the ability to interpret complex legislation and to translate it for others.
· Experience of analysing information, identifying trends and presenting findings
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, with ability to use plain English to communicate content in a clear style
· Well–developed interpersonal and communication skills
· Ability and experience of working in an environment where close attention to detail and accuracy are critical
· Familiarity with UK political systems and structures
· Good level of IT skills including MS Excel, Word, Project, databases and Outlook
· A strong commitment to delivering results and continuous improvement
· Ability and experience of effective planning and organising and managing own time
· Diplomacy, tact and discretion
· The ability to work independently and flexibly, including under limited supervision and as part of a team
· The ability to use initiative to solve problems, including meeting the needs of diverse stakeholders
· A flexible approach to work and ability to manage changing requirements and business priorities as necessary
· Possess an understanding of, and interest in, democracy and the electoral processes in the UK
· The ability to communicate in writing and orally fluently in both Welsh and English.