Waste Collections Team Leader x 2
Temporary until November
To Operate the Waste Collection Vehicle in a safe and effective manner to enable collection of waste throughout the Borough. To supervise/manage the Waste Collection Operatives to fulfil the duties of their role effectively and efficiently in accordance with all Health and Safety requirements. To provide excellent customer care in the delivery of the waste service across Torfaen.
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities
1. To carry out Waste collection services as agreed with your Supervisor.
2. To carry out job chats on a yearly basis in order to establish your crew’s needs.
3. To distribute promotional literature as and when required.
4. To liaise with the Waste Awareness Officer/Enforcement Officer where there are areas of non-compliance by residents of Torfaen.
5. To monitor the performance of your crew on a daily basis and report back to your Supervisor, where there are issues with performance.
6. To contribute to raising public awareness of the twin bin scheme and other waste initiatives introduced throughout Torfaen.
7. To identify and provide additional assistance for members of the public who are experiencing difficulties in carrying out the separation of their waste.
8. To carry out regular audits of the number of waste receptacles collected by your team, and relay this information to your Supervisor.
9. To gain an accredited professional award that will be determined by Management.
10. To work with the Education Officer, which involves school visits and road shows where you will be expected to interact with students and residents of Torfaen helping and advising on any twin bin related issues.
11. Work in a safe manner ensuring that all protective clothing is worn.
12. Work within the Councils Health and Safety Policies and Procedures.
13. To work within the Councils policies and procedures.
14. Ensure all spillages are removed, however created, where there is evidence of waste spillages, the location and spillage type should be reported to the Supervisor immediately.
15. Report additional waste receptacles, excessive extra plastic sacks, and contaminated receptacles to your Supervisor.
16. Be courteous and polite to members of the public and other Torfaen staff at all times.
17. If access is impaired you must pull out the receptacles and return to collection point. All receptacles must be emptied.
18. To keep your vehicle clean, and once a week clean out the rear compartment of the vehicle.
19. To work with your crew, when reversing the vehicle, Banksman training will be provided.
20. Be responsible for the Health and Safety of yourself and your crew.
21. Ensure safe working practices are followed.
22. Ensure safe operation of the vehicle.
23. Ensure routine maintenance checks/ inspection sheets are completed.
24. Report vehicle breakdowns to the relevant Supervisor.
25. If there is an accident, report it to the Waste Operations Co-ordinator, who will advise the Vehicle Maintenance Supervisor, Safety Officer and the Police if necessary. On your return to the depot complete an accident report form.